Friday, April 4, 2008

WHAT TO EXPECT AFTER SURGERY


4/4/08 - The surgeon told me these things today about my recovery:


  • I will have only a 6cm incision if she only takes out the thyroid & parathyroid

  • A much larger (she demonstrated about 3 to 4 inches) if it includes the lympnode

  • I will have a drain in my throat after surgery

  • I will most likely have a very hoarse voice for up to a couple of months (there is a chance of nerve damage and it could be a little worse)

  • If my CALCIUM level is normal then I can go home the next day

  • They will put me on medication immediately after surgery to give my body what the thyroid was doing for me for 4 to 8 days then I will be placed on my permanent medication

  • It will take months to regulate the medication and I was told by quite a few doctors today that I will not feel well at all, very lethargic and other side effects

  • The chances of this coming back is very small if at all

No comments: