Monday, April 21, 2008

IT IS HERE!


I have been VERY busy the last couple of days!

The biggest update is this:

I went to the Internal Medicine doctor for my pre-op appt and she called the surgeon and the Endo doc on the phone and it seemed there was some miscommunication about my treatment immediately following the surgery (surgeon was going to put me on the thyroid med and the Endo doc was definitely NOT wanting me on it). My IM doc was great and got everyone together and on the same page. We now have the DEFINITE PLAN:

1. I am having a CENTRAL NECK DISSECTION in just a few hours!!


2. They are taking they Thyroid, Para-Thyroid, and lymph node out


3. If the parathyroid is benign they will take 3 pieces and place it back in my ARM


4. After surgery they will NOT place me on any thyroid medication so that my body will completely shut down in that respect so it can get ready for a "massive" dose of the radiation the week of 5/19 - this is not their usual practice and that is why there was some confusion. Since my case is "worse" then they needed to make some adjustments - PROGNOSIS IS STILL GREAT!!


5. I will have very specific instructions on what to watch out for in case my body shuts down from not being able to process the calcium. If it does shut down they will place me on the thyroid medication right away


That is about it. We won't know how long I will be in the hospital until after the surgery and they check my levels, etc..... I am packing a small bag just in case! :-)


I have been told that my voice will be affected so check this blog and you can e-mail me. I might not be able to call anyone for a while. :-) That could be a blessing to some! HAHA


I also will be VERY tired for at least 2 weeks since they are not giving me the medication. They are purposely sending me into HYPOthyroidism. That means I will be a BIG SLUG on the couch! :-)


Thank goodness for all the wonderful care I am receiving! My sister has been on top of everything!! I haven't had to lift a finger in 2 days - I am thinking of "milking" this as long as possible! HAHA

Tomorrow will go wonderful and I will be home before we all know it!! Thank you ALL so much for your prayers and support! I knew I had great friends and family but just the overwhelming show of love and several people willing to drop everything to be here for me is incredible!


I LOVE YOU ALL!


GO MOMO!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Brandy,
Praying that all went well. My whole ladies class has been praying for you as well. Looking forward to the next update.
Lisa & Rob