Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Another Gland!!

I was so happy today that I felt so good! I was even bragging to Mama G & Grammy through e-mail that I was much better and feeling good! Well, around 5:30pm I popped another lemon candy in my mouth (to keep that saliva flowing) and I had the most excruciating pain under my right ear. It happened on and off and then around 7:00pm it got so bad all I could do was hold my face and cry. I thought about going to the emergency room the pain was so bad. This went on for about 30 minutes and the side of my face swelled up pretty bad. I even took a picture for the doctor - you know how you go and everything looks fine... I wanted to prove it!! Sometimes I think I sound like a hyperchondriac!!

This pain is about 10 times worse than the other gland so I am very discouraged this evening thinking I will have to have this surgery now. I know... I will go see the OTO doc tomorrow and I will report back to ya'll.

I am adding a picture so you can see that the first 2 weeks has been the submandibular gland that was swelling and had the stones. That swelled up today but it is no where near the pain of this new one which is the parotid gland.

HERE IS SOMETHING TO EXPLAIN IT THAT I FOUND ON THE WEB:

The most likely cause for this appears to be a blockage of the flow of the saliva out of the glands caused by a narrowing of the ducts. This narrowing is the result of scarring due to inflammation caused by the radiation. Thus, as one begins to eat, the volume of saliva increases but cannot pass through the narrowed duct into the volume of saliva increases but cannot pass through the narrowed duct into the mouth. The gland then rapidly swells, which can be painful. In some people, discomfort can result simply by looking at appetizing food.

The good thing about all of this is that I am learning so much about what different parts of the body does. I am now well versed on thyroids, lymph nodes, and now saliva glands! :-)

Also, we take our bodies for granted each day when we are feeling good. Once you have a "problem" like this and you learn what an amazing masterpiece the body is and how intricate it is.... how can you not believe in the almighty Creator???

I really didn't think I would have so many updates!! Goodness! Just keeping ya'll entertained. I have been joking this week that I am God's own private joke! HAHA!!

Spirits are still up and my energy is great! Just hard to talk sometimes and that excruciating pain but still doing GREAT!! Don't feel bad for me, I really can handle the pain, I am just still so thankful I am not dizzy any more!!! :-)


Hang in there with me... this is going to be very interesting!!!


GO MOMO (I am coming after you!!)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh Brandy! I just know you are not a hypochrindiac!! Don't be so hard on yourself. Hope you have a Merry Christmas and a blessed New Year.
"Rejoice with those who rejoice and weep with those who weep." ROMANS 12:15
See Brandy, the Lord says we are to weep with you too!
Love,
Debby