Wednesday, April 22, 2009

METAL CLIP UPDATE!!

I apologize for not updating the blog after my doctor’s appointment last week but at first I was really disappointed and just didn’t want to talk about it and then you know how it goes…. I just got busy/lazy!! SORRY! :-)

Here is what happened at my doctor’s visit (internal med – the ringleader):

My doctor cried the entire time I was in the exam room and apologized profusely about sending me to the surgeon that left the metal clip in my throat. I kept telling her it was not her fault, there is no way she could have known that would happen. I also kept reminding her that we are all human and we make mistakes (that comes from working in a neurosurgery office for 13 years – I know good people make mistakes)!! I love how I always have to console my doctors!! HAHA!!

I had gone to the doctor specifically because I have started having trouble with swallowing, my voice, pressure in my throat, pain, etc….(hiccups are very unpleasant!!!). I also had her feel a lump on the left side of my neck (not in the throat) and she just kept telling me how sorry she was and that it had to be biopsied. She also found another one which is real small but she stated it is a concern. She said this time we are going to go to MD Anderson and she got on the phone and tracked down which doctor I should see there and then wouldn’t let me leave the room until she talked to him to ensure me she was taking care of it (poor thing feels so guilty)! She told the doctor on the phone that I had become a very dear friend as well as her patient (she really is the sweetest doctor). She talked to Dr. Steve Sherman and after she explained everything he agreed to “accept” me as a patient (you know how MD Anderson is like Ft. Knox).

His office called me later that day to register me in the system. Also, he mentioned to her that the metal clip had become a problem with surgeons forgetting to take it out so they are not using it anymore and he also stated it can cause some big issues for the patient so yes, it does need to come out. He also stated that the metal clip is messaging my carotid artery and that is why sometimes I feel like I am going to pass out (this has only happened twice and Gene was there with me), he said if I do then I need to get the clip out ASAP (it slows down the blood flow).

So, I go to MD Anderson on May 4th, at 10:00am. They stated they will see me and there is a team of 10 doctors who deal with the thyroid cancer and it basically will be an initial visit and Dr. Sherman will determine what needs to happen first, either the clip coming out or the biopsy (I would assume biopsy because if they are going in they might as well clean me up while they are in there if it is malignant). But we will see.

I am perfectly fine with all of this except 2 things. First, I FINALLY felt back to normal and felt like I had my life back, having to go to the doctors again so soon and facing another surgery and biopsy result is just a little disappointing to me. But, again it is MINOR!!! Second, being an MD Anderson Cancer Center patient just has this persona and makes me feel like I have a sign over my head saying “CANCER PATIENT”. I thought I was over all of that (took me a while to feel "over it"), I know this cancer has one of the highest reoccurrence rates so I knew I would probably be going to the doctor again someday but just not so soon! :-)

All is well, we will get this taken care of and move on! Let’s just hope that new lump in my neck is NOT MOMO coming for another visit (the welcome mat is NOT on my doorstep)!!! Even if it is it won’t be a big deal, just will need another ZAP of radiation! I can handle stomach cramps, well the quarantine was hard but who wouldn’t want to lie in bed for 7 days and watch TV and play on their iPhone (I think I can handle that)??? :-)

So, I really do promise to update you after my appointment on May 4th!!!


MOMO – I WOULDN’T COME BACK IF I WERE YOU!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

HI BRANDY; ISN'T THAT A BEAUTIFUL CHILD YOU HAVE ON THIS BLOG. SHE
MAKES THOSE BLUEBONNETS LOOK FRESH AND THEY MATCH HER EYES. OF COURSE THIS IS HER WELLA TALKING.
YOU ARE SUCH A BRAVE PERSON, AND YOUR FAITH KEEPS YOU GOING.

YOU OLD LADY FRIEND
LUZ LEAL